Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Monday July 11... Rough roads to miraculous destinations...

...Where to even start.. What a eventful past few days.. From panic, to defeat, to more panic,..... to miracle after miracle..

...Last Thursday evening we found out through the Hospital Liason Committee that the hospital my surgery was scheduled to be at did not have a good record with maintaining patient wishes for bloodless surgery (100% non-negotiable in my book!).. When Matt told me when we were laying in bed in the dark, my heart crumpled.. I felt so defeated, so lost.. And I cried.. I've wanted to so hard to put on a brave face for my family, but that was too much for me.. What would we do?.. Where would we go?.. How long would it take to get in somewhere else?.. How much later would my surgery be pushed?.. How can I go through this whole process, & potentially all the tests, all over again.. Matt so sweetly held me, caressed my face, rubbed my hair.. No one was telling us to leave that hospital, & therefore that oncologist as well.. But it was not worth the risk to me.. We would have to start over....

...We would be receiving a list of recommended hospitals with bloodless programs to try.. Top of the list was Johns Hopkins.. I couldn't sleep that night.. I poured my heart out in prayer.. The next morning, long before I needed to be up to get ready for the ministry, not being able to sleep anyway, I researched their oncology teams & how to get an appointment.. I anticipated a long wait.. I mean, it's Johns Hopkins, it's in the top 3 hospitals in the nation, people come over even internationally to be there.. Nevertheless, we started the appointment request process Friday afternoon..

...The first person I spoke with was kind enough to expedite the process over to a medical concierge immediately due to the circumstances, when normally it would have taken days to even get that far... And she suggested I started sending in my paperwork- medical records, pathology reports, insurance.. Even with the kindness of her expediting thus far, there is a process.. Once received by the medical concierge assigned to my case, the paperwork then has to be sent for physician review to determine what the next step should be.. I would hear back with an 'update' on Monday.. Would they even accept me?.. If so, how long would we have to wait for an appointment?.. How many hoops will be there be?.. We prayed specifically for a quick acceptance & quick appointment, specifically one for the following week..

...That night we received a phone number & name from the Liason Committee for the Director of the Bloodless Program at Johns Hopkins.. He also happens to be one of our spiritual brothers- what a wonderful & reassuring thing!.. So, first thing Saturday morning we called & left a message.. Nothing else to do but wait & pray..

...He called this morning.. Hilariously, he & his wife were just on vacation last week in none other than right here in our county.. What a great ice breaker.. and reminder of what a small world we live in.. He was so kind, so understanding.. He asked some questions, took down some information.. & gave me his cell phone # in order to stay in the loop & so that I could immediately text him an appointment day when I received it & he would arrange to meet in person at the time of my appointment.. "'WHEN' I received it" sounded promising!.. And although I felt immediately better after talking to him, my heart fell a little bit.. I had hoped that he could expedite the process.. When I asked him how long we could anticipate to wait for an appointment, the earliest would be about 2 weeks.. Not the worst in the world, but not ideal.. Any earlier was pretty much unheard of.. Matt & I continued to pray with our concerns..

...Within hours I received a phone call from the medical concierge on our case... She had an appointment for me....... TOMORROW...... How was this possible! A NEXT DAY appointment at Johns Hopkins??... I immediately called Matt.. He said it almost made him cry.. The impossible!.. Funny thing- I've never been so happy to hear I was going to the doctor in my whole life...

...I texted the bloodless program director, Brother P. ... I knew it would be last minute for him.. With his no-doubt busy schedule, how much would he have to rearrange in order to meet as planned? Especially when so unexpected?..
-Him: "Wow that was fast. I'll see you tomorrow about half hour before the appointment. I'll find you. Terrific heavenly direction!"
-Me: "So thankful & amazed... See you tomorrow! I know it's last minute for you, so thank you."
-Him: "Never an imposition for my sister."

...The events of these whole few days wrapped up into 2 scriptures...
-Matthew 19:26- "Looking at them intently, Jesus said to them: "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
-John 13:35- "By this all will know that you are my disciples- if you have love among yourselves."

No comments:

Post a Comment